Lengthen My Days

It's all about getting God to the top of your "To Do" List

Monday, October 03, 2005

Redeeming Time and Technology

Here's a great idea: iPods preloaded with great stuff to help you quickly and conveniently access personal discipleship tools all day long. http://blog.theaterchurch.com/2005/09/godipodcom.html

Pastor Mark Batterson says the idea is about redeeming technology to foster spiritual growth. I say it's also about redeeming time to fostor spiritual growth. In fact, Batterson says he got the idea when he started downloading messages and worship on his iPod to listen to as he worked out, rather than remaining captive to whatever radio station the gym had turned on. It was a form of spiritual multitasking.

Batterson's experiments in increasing time spent in the spiritual disciplines sound a lot like my own journey over the past 12 months. My question has been, "How do I turn this minute, every minute--or at least as many minutes as possible--into acts of worship?" Can I spend my commute time listening to solid teaching? Can I turn this hour spent mowing the lawn into an hour of prayer? Can I develop a habit of praying without ceasing, even while cleaning the kitchen? Can the hobby I love be of service to someone? How can I best redeem my time? I even made a resolution to borrow my kids' MP3 player and learn how to download sermons to listen to on the go. Looks like Batterson's going to make that even easier for me.

I'm looking forward to watching GodiPod.com go live later this week. Batterson, already an active blogger, also plans a GodiPod Blog which will help us discover new ways of practicing ancient spiritual disciplines through use of technology.

"So be careful how you live. Live as men who are wise and not foolish. Make the best use of your time. These are sinful days." Ephesians 5:15-16

1 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger Mark Batterson said...

Love your blog :)

Man, if I had a nickel for everything I said "there aren't enough hours in the day" :)

Blog on.

Mark Batterson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home