Lengthen My Days

It's all about getting God to the top of your "To Do" List

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Creative Procrastination: Moving God up on your list by moving other stuff down

Back to that time management program I was talking about last week…

Brian Tracey recommends a technique for getting important stuff done (in the context of work) that I think might help you and me move God up to a higher priority on our to-do lists.

Tracey recommends “creative procrastination” or “setting posteriorities.” In other words, take a look at everything on your to-do list today and decide what you can put off ‘til last. What is least important? What won’t matter if you don’t get to it today? After examing your to-do list, do this exercise again with your daily routine--you know, the stuff that doesn’t even make the to-do list--like folding the laundry, reading emails and watching American Idol. What can be put off until everything that is more important has been done?

I’ve been having fun with this. There are lots of things I would like to put off for a bit. It is kind of nice to say to myself, “I won’t fold that load of laundry now. I’ll take 20 minutes to read about the events of Easter week in my Bible.” Or “I don’t have to respond to that annoying email this second. I can take a few minutes to pray about my priorities for the day.” And you know what, the “oh-so-necessary” things like laundry and business emails still get done. They just take a slightly lower priority--more like where they should have been in the first place.

“...let us throw off everything that hinders...and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Hebrews 12:1

P.S. If you are interested in time management techniques, setting priorities and goal accomplishment in the business context, check out Brian Tracey’s blog. I find many of his suggestions helpful toward running my spiritual race as well.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home