Lengthen My Days

It's all about getting God to the top of your "To Do" List

Monday, April 17, 2006

Praying Simple Prayers #2

Henri Nouwen expands on the idea of simple prayers in his book, The Way of the Heart:
When we simply try to sit silently and wait for God to speak to us, we find ourselves bombarded with endless conflicting thoughts and ideas. But when we use a very simple sentence such as “O God, come to my assistance,”…it is easier to let the many distractions pass by without being misled by them. Such a simple easily repeated prayer can slowly empty out our crowded interior life and create the quiet space where we can dwell with God….Our choice of words depends on our needs and circumstances of the moment, but it is best to use words from Scripture.
Some days when I reach the time I have set aside to pray, I find myself distracted and unable to focus on prayer. No matter how hard I try, I just feel I can’t “get through.” It helps me to let out a deep breath and say simply, “Lord, thank you for loving me, a sinner.” Somehow, saying that simple phrase, thinking over all that it means in terms of God’s greatness, my insufficiency, and His love for me, has the power to settle me. It focuses my mind on God, gives me a greater desire to talk to Him, and prepares my heart to continue praying.

How about picking phrase from the Psalms you have been reading this month and praying it as a prayer? Pick something that resonates with you, your needs and what you want to say to God right now. Here are some ideas:

  • “God, help me to follow you the way a sheep follows a shepherd." Psalm 23
  • "God, please lead me beside still waters. Please restore my soul.” Psalm 23
  • “O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is Your name in all the earth.” Psalm 8
  • “O Lord, by Your hand, please save me.” Psalm 17
  • “God, please make me like a strong tree planted by streams of water.” Psalm 1
  • “Father, don’t let me trust in my own power. Help me trust in You.” Psalm 20
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home