Lengthen My Days

It's all about getting God to the top of your "To Do" List

Thursday, September 27, 2007

The To-Do List in Perspective

Here are some verses for those of us obsessed with “to-do” lists to think about:
Now, listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” James 4:13-15

Does this mean I should never plan? (I’ve always found the balance between planning and leaving things up to God a bit hard to strike.) I actually think the point here is not “no planning.” I think the point is “go ahead and plan but keep it in perspective.” And what is the proper perspective? That life on earth is just a mist and that God is ultimately the one in control. He is the creator and sustainer of the universe who works all things according to His will--and me, well after all is said and done, I am only me.

If I could manage to keep this perspective, a lot of seemingly problematic things that God commands me to do would begin to fall into line quite naturally. Like that order not to worry about food and clothes. Or the tendency to boast, thinking myself better than my neighbor. If I could keep this perspective in mind I might just catch a glimpse of what it would mean to love God with all my heart, soul, strength and mind.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home