Lengthen My Days

It's all about getting God to the top of your "To Do" List

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Still Wondering What to Give Up for Lent?

In Christ’s second temptation, Satan took Jesus to the top of the temple telling Him that if He were the Son of God He should toss Himself down. Afterall, God would not let harm come to Him. Jesus refused, saying that Scripture says we should not put God to the test.

Here again, I see something I can give up for Lent. I can give up the habit of throwing myself headlong into plans of my own making and then asking God to help me, to keep me from crashing, to pick up the pieces of a mess I’ve created with my impetuous actions. How often do I do that--proceed happily along my way until I find myself in trouble? Then I suddenly remember to pray. I suddenly remember that I didn’t pray that God would guide me through the circumstance or the decision in the first place. The first time the option of prayer popped into my head was afterwards when I was freefalling.

During Lent, I’m going to ask God if I can follow Him, rather than asking Him to follow me.

Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written: 'He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'" Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'" Matthew 4:5-7

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Blogger me. said...

Thanks for coming to my sight. I'm interested to know who recommended it. I am thankful that my entries might be encouraging to others. Be blessed :)

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger :-) said...

Catherine. OK. I have set up a new site about Christian valor. You may find it at Scottishcross.blogspot

 

Post a Comment

<< Home