Lengthen My Days

It's all about getting God to the top of your "To Do" List

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Hearing God

Last week there was a discussion in the comments section about hearing God when He speaks. I happened to read this morning Elisabeth Elliot's thoughts on the topic. As a young woman she was bewildered about how God speaks to His followers. She often feared she would miss anything God might say to her and that she consequently would fail to follow Him. Here's what she says now in Keep a Quiet Heart:

It is not a worry anymore. Experience has taught me that the Shepherd is far more willing to show His sheep the path than the sheep are to follow. He is endlessly merciful, patient, tender, and loving. If we, His stupid and wayward sheep, really want to be led, we will without fail be led. Of that I am sure.

When we need help, we wish we knew somebody who is wise enough to tell us what to do, reachable when we need him, and even able to help us. God is. Omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent--everything we need. The issue is confidence in the Shepherd Himself, a confidence so complete that we offer ourselves without any reservation whatsoever and determine to do what He says.

What He says? But how shall I know that?...

Although people in Bible times often heard God speak, we can expect that He will usually speak today through conscience, through the written Word, through other people, and through events. Events themselves, the seemingly insignificant happenings of every day, reveal the will of God. They are the will of God for us, for while we live, move, and have our being here on earth, in this place, this family, this house, this job, we live, move, and have our being in God. He "pulls strings through circumstances," as Jim Elliot said, even the bad circumstances (see Genesis 45:8, 50:20).

Three questions may help to clarify the call of God. Have I made up my mind to do what He says, no matter what the cost? Am I faithfully reading His Word and praying? Am I obedient in what I know today of His will?

By the way, if you've been reading this blog for any length of time you know I am a fan of Elisabeth Elliot's devotional writing. You'll be able to see her amazing story in theaters when the movie, The End of the Spear, comes out in January '06. The early reviews say the movie is extremely well done.

2 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find this helpful since I have had a very narrow view of hearing the Lord. Expanding my "listening" to include Elliot's long list is what I plan to do.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Tina said...

You gotta love Elisabeth Elliot! She has such a piercing, yet gentle way of putting things!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home