Lengthen My Days

It's all about getting God to the top of your "To Do" List

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Spiritual Habits: Obligations or Opportunities?

Sometimes talking about developing steady spiritual habits of daily prayer and Bible reading can sound pretty legalistic. I worry that I sound like a broken record-- repeating a list of arduous and boring tasks that everyone has already heard hundreds of times—when I am actually trying to help others walk through an open door to a deeper, more exciting relationship with God. I particularly worry that when I explain basic spiritual disciplines to my kids I am only adding in their minds to a list of difficult things they “should” do, like chores, homework and musical instrument practice. How can they understand that I’m just trying to hand them the keys to a fabulous life of peace and joy?

This morning I heard some helpful words from Dr. Andrew Purves of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. He spoke on Philippians 3:12: “…I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.” Christ has already grabbed hold of us and offered us eternal life as well as an abundant, peace-filled life on earth. When we strive to live the way He lived and do the things He did what we are doing is trying to take hold more fully of that life He has given us. Prayer and Bible reading/study then are not obligations that must be fulfilled daily in order to avoid ending up in God’s dog house. Instead, they are opportunities that allow us to live more fully and enjoyably in His presence everyday.

That’s why developing daily spiritual habits is so important. They are your way to grab hold of that for which Christ took hold of you. Without them, you miss out on what He’s hoping to give you. So take a few minutes to look back at April. How are you doing with prayer, reading and creating some quiet oases for Him in the day? What practical things can you do during May to cement these habits into your day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home