Lengthen My Days

It's all about getting God to the top of your "To Do" List

Friday, May 05, 2006

Spiritual Habits and High Cholesterol

I have high cholesterol. You wouldn’t know it to look at me. I look relatively healthy. And I haven’t done anything all that “bad” in terms of lifestyle to warrant such disastrous cholesterol numbers. The thing is, I inherited a tendency to high cholesterol. Bummer. So to combat the natural tendency inherent in my body, I exercise every day. I eat things like oat bran and psyllium fiber and plant sterols. I try to avoid saturated fat. It’s not really very fun but the hard work has paid off. My cholesterol numbers are getting lower.

It occurred to me while I was on the elliptical machine today that the discipline I apply to my life in order to avoid clogged arteries is a lot like the spiritual habits you and I need to develop. We all inherited a human nature that, left alone, will clog our hearts and minds and block the flow of Christ’s life through us. In order to counteract our natural tendencies, we need to do things that will rid our hearts and minds of the “bad stuff” and open our mental and emotional pathways to Him. We need to get active spiritually: to pray, to read the Bible, and to make space to hear Him in our lives so we can begin to act on what He says. It may not be all that much fun at first to turn off the TV and open the Bible or get out of bed a few minutes early to pray, but it will pay off.

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Romans 12:2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home