Lengthen My Days

It's all about getting God to the top of your "To Do" List

Monday, March 17, 2008

Reminders of Betrayal

I learned yesterday that in days gone by churches often put weather vanes with roosters on top of their steeples. My church still has one in fact. I thought it was just a quaint country look. But apparently, the rooster was deliberate, meant to remind the congregation to live publicly what they confessed privately. The allusion of course was to the rooster which crowed after Peter denied Christ on the night of His arrest.

Of all the disciples, Peter was the one who had confessed Jesus as the Messiah--at least when the group was alone. He "got it" when the others were just tagging along. Yet when the opportunity came to acknowledge Him publicly, Peter hesitated. Well, actually, he failed and outright denied that he even knew Him. The good news is that Jesus forgave Peter--as He is ready to forgive all of us--and within two months Peter was publicly proclaiming Jesus to thousands of people. He went on to write several books of the Bible. He was the rock upon which Christ built the church.

I imagine that for the rest of his life every time he heard a rooster crow--perhaps as often as every morning--Peter remembered his failure. At first it was probably with a sinking heart, but after awhile maybe the cock's crow became more of an inspiration. Almost a battle cry. Perhaps he thought, "One more day. I've been given one more day to live publicly what I believe privately. One more day to speak out."

Now, I see this reminder of potential betrayal all the time. In fact, I think I have about five roosters in my kitchen alone (not real of course--just decorative). When I see them each morning I'm going to let them remind me that today is an opportunity to live publicly what I have confessed privately.

Peter's betrayal and his dramatic turnaround are not bad things to think about as we head into this Passion Week. And how about on Easter morning--when we gag over all those brightly colored marshmallow chicks? They can serve as a reminder of the potential for betrayal just waiting to grow in all of us and a reminder that with His resurrection power we can actually live up to the opportunities presented to speak His name.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home